About a month ago we made a tough decision and changed the year round team that Roo swims for. He moved from the Raiders to the Rays. There were a couple of reasons for the decision, the primary one being the communication from the head coach and the secondary one being the difference in the hands on nature of the teams developmental programs. Leaving his old team has been hard for me, I have lots of mommy friends I really enjoyed talking with while he practiced. He was able to make the switch pretty easily and though he misses his coach and a couple of his friends, he admitted that he was learning more and having more fun.
This past weekend was the North District 12U Championship meet and he participated in both days of the meet. One the way there the first day I realized I forgot my good camera, one of our friends took a few pictures. And then again on the second day I forgot my camera. I should have used the video on my phone but I had it in airplane mode, sitting in my purse the entire second day b/c the facility drained the batter the first day. I wish I had take video of him when he swam the 100 Free, he won his heat and came in 7th in the event, he was so excited!
He had a great meet and on the way out on Sunday he said "this was a lot of fun for something I didn't want to do!" He essentially got to have a two day playdate with his buddy from his old team, while taking short breaks for each of his races, of course he had a blast. And though it was awkward a few times when parents we know from the old team saw our new team shirts, I had a great time hanging out with a few of our good friends on the old team and even making a new friend on the new team.
His 7 events and results were as follows:
25 Free - added a tiny bit of time
25 Breast - didn't DQ for the first time!!
50 Back - took time off, said he meant to crash into the wall with his head!
100 Free - took time off, 1st in his heat, 7th overall, time was under 2 minutes
25 Fly - DQ (he hasn't had a legal swim in this yet)
25 Back - took time off and was under 30 seconds for the first time ever!!
50 Free - took time off
That's 5/7 personal best swims! He was very excited and I was one proud mommy!


No comments:
Post a Comment