Thursday, June 3, 2010

Allergy Food

So I've been thinking recently how confusing and overwhelming it all was when Bug was first diagnosed with multiple food allergies. Now, over a year later, we've adjusted to the changes and have a totally Bug friendly house (you know what I mean!). I was thinking it might be helpful to put together the recipes we regularly use and where we buy all of our items and give it to the allergist and ped as a handout for newly diagnosed patients. I remember how we took an entire day off of work to drive to Richmond to see what we could find at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Turns out our Wegman's has just about everything we need. We are currently learning how to add more fat and calories to what we eat since Bug's weight is not where it should ideally be. He's dropped to 10th percentile and though he doesn't look like he's underweight, both the allergist and the ped want to start having weight checks...so we're concerned and are trying to tackle this head on!
I also want to show how the allergy food we have doesn't really taste any different and isn't weird. At Cousin Andrea's graduation party, the family had made just about everything Bug friendly. And you know what, nobody tasted the difference. It's amazing the products that are out there and now that we know where to find where everything is, it's just become normal for us.
So here are some pictures of some of the yummy food we've learned how to cook; most of these are desserts because main dishes are fairly easy when you're cooking from scratch (and I didn't take pictures..) And I have to say, if I didn't cook well before his allergies, I'm certainly learning to become both a good cook and a good baker! I am good at a weeks worth of main dishes now, amazing! Even Daddy is amazed at how tasty some of our dishes come out.
So what do you think, should I start writing a cook book? Even if it never gets published, I think it would be really cool to have. I'd love any ideas my wonderful readers have!


1 comment:

Michele said...

T-I think you guys have done awesome with your little guy. You are such great parents. That's exciting all the new things you've learned to cook and it's wonderful to put it all together for people that were in the same boat as you. I think it would be wonderful to see the things you're cooking up.